Updated: Mar 18
Welcome back, sorry I missed last week's Post but with it being Thanksgiving and all I just couldn't get to it. I hope you all had the most marvelous time with family and friends 💕
For those of you new I'm continuing my series where I take a random piece of fabric given to me, and I try to make a garment using the entire piece, and I try to do it all in a day.
This week's fabric is 2yrds and about 10 inches long, with a width of 60in. Since it's lacking in information, by the feel of it I'm guessing it's it's a wool blend, definitely a lightweight suiting.
My first instinct was to make a coat or cape or something since I had a lot of yardage and that doesn't happen very often. I was telling this plan to my mother when she suggested that I do a wide leg trouser. If you've read Brassy Sassy you know that I've been dying to do a wide leg trouser ever since that post!
After cutting out a size 16 I was still left with an extra 3/4 yd, as vests require very little fabric I used what was left to cut out a matching vest. I still needed a lining so I took to my hoard where I found a small piece of blue rayon leftover from when I made my friend Ryan some harem pants, went ahead and used it as lining.
Even though I had two pieces cut from the grey I also wanted a puffy sleeved shirt. My options were red or black. I felt like the red would be a little much for this look so I pulled a 2 1/2yrd black fabric (that I had been saving for a special project) cut out an over-sized shirt. It was then I realized that either I was out of interfacing, or misplaced it in my move.
Either way the whole project was put on hold until I could make it out to the store. I did, but it wasn't until the end of the evening, I also had to buy a sliding buckle for the best as I was out of those as well.
The vest went very quickly, I always like making vests. For the buttons I lucked out and had 4 light grey buttons in 3/4in size exactly what I needed! I didn't get around to the other two garments unfortunately as I had to stitch up some stuff for my clients (5 pant hems and a patch)
The next day I went and completed the trousers. I pulled the zipper from my hoard and since I was out of slide hooks used a button closure. I found this really pretty Olive button that complemented the pants well.
I then moved on to the shirt, the fabric is a 100% brushed metallic cotton from M&L Fabrics in Anaheim my favorite OC fabric shop. Possibly my favorite fabric shop period. That one also went quickly. I had to buy buttons for that one but am okay with it because I was able to find buttons for the other two without any trouble.
I don't know why but the pant vest combo had a very doctor feel to it and made me think of Sherlock's Watson, also Dr. Mac from Miss Fishers Murder Mystery.
Because of that style wise I ended up adding a bowler hat for dramatic flair.
I know these pictures are not my best, I was having some trouble with my camera so most of them came out blurry, I'm gong tohave to problem solve before next week.
To recap this is easily the most pieces I've make in one sitting for one of these posts. I didn't cheat this week as the only bits I bought were notions and interfacing so I'm pretty proud of myself on that front. The photos didn't come out as good as I would have liked but I am happy with the overall styling of the outfit, I look like a really modern 20's woman, which is kinda fun, as we gear up to enter the 20's once again!
Thank you all for tuning in, if your interested in purchasing this outfit head over to my shop where it is currently for sale. There's only one, its available in a pattern size 16, more details to be found in my shop. Thank you for staying connected, feel freee to follow me on Instagram at MadsenCreations for behind the scenes stuff as I create these as well as other garments. You can also find me on Facebook at Madsen Creations by Rachel Madsen, and Twitter at Rachieface89, or Tumblr at Love Art Fashion Me. Thanks again! See you next week!